Cloud Compute specifications
Offering a range of availability zones, including public and private service offerings and geographical location.
- Self-service: Built and managed through the portal or API interface
- Dashboard: Provides an overview of the running virtual machines, resources used, and cost
- Catalogue: Used to select configurations and services
- Automation: Ability to dynamically provision virtual machines, make changes and close down virtual machines as required
- Hardware: Includes blades, storage, firewalls and load balancers, organised into different geographical availability zones
Network is dependent upon the availability zone being used. The majority of services will be using Internet and/or MPLS.
- Internet access: Fully resilient with pay as you use pricing
- Load balancing: Service supports creation of a load balanced pool of servers using (VIP) addresses – multiple algorithms available
- Virtual LANs (vLANs): By default, only one network (Primary Network) will be present which is firewalled; additional ‘private’ networks (virtual LANs) are supported
You can select attributes for each virtual machine, modify some of the attributes, and copy attributes to create another virtual machine.
- Hypervisor: Service supports a number of different hypervisors
- Operating system: System options are presented as templates, displayed with a corresponding description
- Customer images: You can choose to upload your own operating system image. Any previous images uploaded can also be selected and found under ‘My templates’
- Virtual machine type: Deploy virtual machines with a range of CPU and RAM options available hourly, monthly or annual
- Storage (Disk attributes): When building a virtual machine, you can add disks to support your applications and data
- Snap shot backup: Means you can take a point-in-time ‘copy’ of your entire virtual machine
Cloud Compute offers advanced virtual machine security to protect against Internet security threats. Delivered using market leading Trend Micro Deep Security Software. 6 modules available on a pay per use basis or with an upfront discount, including
- Anti-malware - Protects servers against viruses and other malware, the foundation for securing your VM’s.
- Web reputation service - Protects users and applications by blocking access to malicious urls.
- Intrusion detection and protection - Protects servers and applications against known and unknown vulnerabilities.
- Stateful firewall - Restrict access to the VM only to the necessary ports, protocols and IP addresses.
- File and system integrity monitoring - Detect unauthorized, unexpected and suspicious changes to files, directories registry keys and values.
- Log inspection - Collect and analyse operating system and application logs for security events.
Security is set at the availability zone, with options dependent on the availability zone being used.
- Virtual security application: Allows you to create access control list or port forwarding rules
Includes Domain Name Server (DNS) and Network Time Protocol (NTP)
- Virtual machine management: From the dashboard, you can select an individual virtual machine and stop, start, restart it and destroy
- Remote management: There are 3 methods of access, console using a browser, Virtual Private Network, or alternatively public access using common clients such as Remote Desktop Protocol, Secure Shell etc.