- Products & Solutions
- Access choices
- Application performance management
- Dedicated Services
- Internet services
- IP address management
- Managed network services
- Virtual Private Network Services
- Network services solutions
- Business technology services
- CRM professional services
- IT professional services
- Unified communications professional services
- Managed security services
- Security Consulting
- Security Intelligence
- Security solutions
- Cloud contact centres
- Contact recording and analytics
- Inbound services
- Onsite contact centres
- Self-service and queue-management platforms
- CRM solutions
- Why BT
Our position and recognition in published analyst reports.
We believe in the power of communication to make a better world
We are proud that our work is recognised time and again by customers, analysts and professional organisations
Our company overview: how we're bringing it all together around the world
Who we’ve helped, and how. Learn how organisations just like yours get better when they work with us.
Join us to explore fresh ideas
Explore and debate the big issues with us as we bring together the latest insight on the hottest IT trends.
From press releases to local news
Great thinking from across the company
Our range of showcases offers you an online or face-to-face insight into our portfolio and its capabilities.
- Let's Talk
- My Account
BT to accelerate growth in Asia Pacific, the Middle East and Africa
DC13-424 (28 November 2013)
Highly qualified specialists, better infrastructure and additional services to help customers expand in high growth markets
BT today announced a new phase of investments into the rapidly growing economies of Asia Pacific, Turkey, the Middle East and Africa (AMEA) with the objective of accelerating its expansion in high growth markets. By hiring more people in the region, launching more competitive capabilities across a larger number of countries and delivering a differentiated service experience, BT will be in a strong position to capture opportunities in a total AMEA market evaluated at around 32 billion GBP1.
This new phase of investments builds on the success of earlier programmes announced in 2010 for the Asia Pacific region and in 2012 for Turkey, the Middle East and Africa. Earlier this year, BT brought those regions together into a single integrated market unit to better address the needs of a new generation of regional multinationals and big domestic players that are increasingly expanding from China and India into the Middle East and Africa. The combined geography is expected to generate 44% of the global GDP growth by 20252, with 3 billion people expected to enter the middle class over the next decade3.
Developments announced today will include the following:
- 400+ new people focused on regional business growth across all key markets, including Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, South Africa, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Turkey.
- New hires will include industry specialists focused on sectors such as logistics, healthcare, consumer packaged goods and financial services, and professional services experts based in 11 countries.
- These hires will be additional to the 600 positions announced earlier this year for BT’s Global Development Centre in Bangalore and to the c.600 hires expected for BT’s new Global Shared Service facility in Kuala Lumpur announced in April.
- Securing new value added services licenses in various countries, enabling an extended portfolio offering.
- Better infrastructure through five new IP and Ethernet Points of Presence starting with India and Turkey, four Network-to-Network Interfaces (NNIs) with the first in Indonesia, and an enhanced satellite capability to support remote coverage and disaster recovery.
- Stronger portfolio capabilities in the fields of security, cloud, unified communications, mobility and contact centres.
- New sector solutions in domains such as health analytics, a suite of Point of Sale solutions for the retail sector and high performance supply chain management services
- Field services delivered directly by BT engineers in India, Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Japan, Turkey, Indonesia and South Africa.
- A new strategic service assurance centre in Malaysia, providing 24x7 incident management capabilities for complex contracts.
Charles Anderson, Associate VP and Head of Telecoms & Mobility at IDC Asia Pacific said: “BT has been very committed to continuing to invest and enhance its capabilities in the region. Over the past 12 months, BT has launched numerous new offerings and service enhancements to its already broad portfolio of services in Asia Pacific. The new investments announced today across the wider AMEA region show that BT does not rest on its laurels but continues to strive for service excellence to better serve its customers.”
Luis Alvarez, chief executive officer, BT Global Services: “In 2010 we launched our first phase of investments to accelerate our expansion in Asia Pacific. This has allowed us to generate strong growth in the region and to nearly triple the number of new Asia Pacific customers signing with us. We are investing again to further grow our business, in a wider region combining Asia Pacific with Turkey, the Middle East and Africa. We are doing this in close consultation with our customers. A new generation of regional multinational companies look to us to help them grab global growth opportunities, and the more established multinationals are determined to invest for growth in this vast region. We help them succeed and reap the benefits of instant globalisation by aligning our investments to their requirements, and providing them with our market-leading portfolio of networked IT services wherever they need them.”
______________________________________1 AMEA addressable ICT market segmentation study conducted by BT - 2013
2 McKinsey Global Institute - June 2012
3 Brookings Institution study - July 2011
BT has been present with direct sales operations in Asia, the Middle East and Africa since the 1980s and today operates out of nine hubs, providing services to customers across 99 countries in the region. With more than 3,300 employees based in offices in Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Korea, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines, the United Arab Emirates, South Africa and Turkey, BT has repeatedly been recognised by leading independent analyst firms as a leading provider of networked IT services in Asia Pacific and the Middle East and Africa. Customers in the region include local operations of global multinational companies investing into the region as well as a growing number of emerging locally based multinationals expanding globally.
Customers in the region are supported by service centres in Sydney, Dalian in China, Gurgaon, Mumbai and Noida in India, Tokyo, Istanbul and Durban in South Africa. Security Operations Centres (SOC) in Australia and India provide advance security monitoring and services. BT also runs research and development operations in the region through a joint research lab with Tsinghua University in China, a global development centre in Bangalore in India and a joint innovation centre with Etisalat and Khalifa University in Abu Dhabi.
BT is one of the world’s leading providers of communications services and solutions, serving customers in more than 170 countries. Its principal activities include the provision of networked IT services globally; local, national and international telecommunications services to its customers for use at home, at work and on the move; broadband and internet products and services and converged fixed/mobile products and services. BT consists principally of four lines of business: BT Global Services, BT Retail, BT Wholesale and Openreach.
In the year ended 31 March 2013, BT Group’s revenue was £18,017m with profit before taxation of £2,501m.
British Telecommunications plc (BT) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of BT Group plc and encompasses virtually all businesses and assets of the BT Group. BT Group plc is listed on stock exchanges in London and New York.
For more information, visit www.btplc.com
Senior PR & Corporate Relations Manager, Asia Pacific, BT Global Services