What this meant for our customers.
In its earlier incarnation as the British General Post Office (GPO), BT was closely involved in the launch of Telstar – the first active, direct relay communications satellite – from Cape Canaveral. More sophisticated than earlier satellites, Telstar was designed to amplify a signal received from the ground and to relay it back to another ground station. This meant that live events such as Queen Elizabeth's coronation or the first American manned suborbital spaceflight could be transmitted across the world for the first time.
The earth satellite station in Cornwall was built by the GPO, who chose the site because it was flat, gave a clear view of the horizon, and its hard rock surface could take the weight of the 1,118-tonne dish (officially named Antenna 1, but nicknamed Arthur). The first television pictures were received via the satellite and broadcast to viewers of BBC1. Brian Oakes, one of the Post Office engineers involved, said the staff were "very relieved" the equipment worked, as "… it had never been made to work in that way before. We had only tested it 20 miles away at Land's End."
Key outcomes at a glance.
- The first satellite transatlantic communication.
- BT recognised as a key collaborator in the development of global cutting-edge communications.
- After the success of the Cornwall earth satellite station, BT established a new satellite earth station at Madeley in Herefordshire, currently believed to be the largest in the world.
Key benefits at a glance.
- Provision of accessible voice and data services to BT customers worldwide.
- Opening up communication and trade opportunities.
- Enabling continued collaboration between UK and the USA.
- Products & Solutions
- Access choices
- Application performance management
- Dedicated Services
- Internet services
- IP address management
- Managed network services
- Virtual Private Network Services
- Network services solutions
- Business technology services
- CRM professional services
- IT professional services
- Mobility professional services
- Network professional services
- Unified communications professional services
- Managed security services
- Security Consulting
- Security Intelligence
- Security solutions
- Why BT
We believe in the power of communication to make a better world.
We are proud that our work is recognised time and again by customers, analysts and professional organisations.
Our company overview: how we're bringing it all together around the world.
Who we’ve helped, and how. Learn how organisations just like yours get better when they work with us.
Join us to explore fresh ideas.
Innovation is at the heart of BT’s business.
Explore and debate the big issues with us as we bring together the latest insight on the hottest IT trends.
From press releases to local news.
Our role as the Cloud Services Integrator.
Our range of showcases offers you an online or face-to-face insight into our portfolio and its capabilities.
Who we work with around the world.
Overview of our portfolio of products and services.
How our portfolio and investments in our people, processes and technology deliver a great customer experience.
Meet Luis Alvarez, CEO, Global Services and the rest of his leadership team.
BT’s position and recognition in published analyst reports.
- Let's Talk
- My Account